Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Nothing Funny About It....

I believe that a major reason why customers, of anything from a restaurant to a concert, are constantly treated shabbily in this country is because we (the customers) always accept it. If one treats a client like crap and gets away with it, chances are that there would always be a repetition. When I say ‘shabbily’, I’m referring to stuff like long delays for shows to start (aka African Time), rudeness and general disrespect for the customer in this country. One of the chief culprits of this type of behaviour are concert/show organizers. Although there are so many instances to serve as evidence to back up my assertion, I’ve decided to use an event that occurred a few weeks ago. The venue was the almost-overstretched Muson Centre, Onikan. The event: Comedian AY’s show. First of all, if a show was meant to start at 5pm, then why in the Lord’s name can’t it start at the pledged time? I so would like an answer. Maybe I’m very strange for expecting it to?It actually sickens me.
I gather that after the 'usual' situation of delaying guests outside the venue for a few hours, the show finally got underway (after a mad stampede as people struggled to get into the hall). It soon became clearly apparent to everyone that the show’s organizers had sold tickets almost twice the amount of seats at the renowned events venue. Why? Well, as that’s definitely a rhetorical question, I wouldn’t hold my breath for an answer. As the greedy/inept organizers realised that there was bound to be a major ‘seating’ headache which might not go down too well with guests (as N5k had been prepaid by the attendees), they decided to take a shockingly drastic, but low, step. As many guests(being typical Nigerians) had obeyed the unwritten ‘African Time’ rule and arrived late, this unlucky batch were told to wait for hours as there would now be,spontaneously,2 shows instead. Some of you may ask this good question: Were the scheduled performances by D’Banj,P-Square etc to happen twice for the two batches of guests?Answer:HELL NO.I guess the only way that was going to happen was if the show’s coordinators were ready to double the appearance fees to be paid the KokoMaster & other artistes. So what did the sharp events people do? They got P-Square to perform for the 1st batch of early-arrivers and saved D-Banj for the late-comers waiting for over 2 hours outside (2nd show). As for the ‘jokes’ department, they got about 3 up-coming acts to perform briefly for the latter show. A friend’s sister who had bought a VIP ticket had to share a seat with another friend as there was no space for her to seat during the first show. The passageways that were to enable guests/food & drinks sellers to move freely was fully taken over by newly arranged seats & previously stranded people.(The exact thing that happened at last Xmas’ Rhythm Unplugged in Lagos).As such, many guests couldn’t get something to drink and/or eat. Similar dilemma faced by those who wanted to make use of the restroom. One look at the difficulty of making it to and from the bathroom, and most realised it was smarter to hold their bowels. After all the terrible experiences endured by those who attended this ‘disaster of a show’, nobody prostested to the organizers. They seemed to just accept it,as if it was a free show they were privileged to attend. Why didn’t people in the 1st batch ask ‘Where’s D-Banj?'.Afterall, that was partly what the N5K was meant to cover, right? How about those who did ‘sufferhead’ waiting for the 2nd show to start at 9pm? Didn’t any of them demand for P-Square, as the Show’s adverts promised? Or feel belittled for being kept standing outside for so long? Oppression seems truly a thing of the mind, guys.
Given the evidently ‘passive’ behaviour of those who were cheated/maltreated that crazy Sunday, I’m quite confident we’ll see a repeat at next year’s edition. I won’t be there to experience it, though. That’s for sure.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel ur pain bruv... I think it has a lot to do with a lack of working instituitions and a total lack of faith in the system (government) by the public. This in turn has now trascended to every day life.
The total lack of apathy by the customer as you mentioned is automatically wired into our brains and when you have come to accept incompetency as the order of the day, a small matter like "sitting down and waiting for hours" after the scheduled time does not seem to matter. But it should... because we are not animals.
The bigger question is who regulates the promoters? What are they doing about it? Surely overbooking @ 100% must be fraud and is also a health and safety issue? Why hasn't the EFCC done anything.... The list of remedies goes on.

Anonymous said...

I am sure there are alot of things that can be done to stop these criminal promoters. The problem Kams is that no one really gives a sh*t... As far as number one is ok, who cares right? We are all complicit because we stay silent and allow it to happen.

Chakams said...

Well said,Bobby..well said..we are just way too passive on many things,i guess

T.Williams-A said...

I feel your pain Chakams. Reminds me of some daft show I went for..."Stars on the Runway". Not only was it a total waste of my time it was a rip off! In fact let me give you a quick run through of what happened.

The show was so hyped and tickets went for N5k, N15k and N40k for the show and a 3 square meal. The show was supposed to start around 5/6 pm or so. I asked the organisers if they were sure it'd start early and I got the response in some fake accent "well we're a UK company so what do you think?"

HA! What a joke!

Not only did the show start around 9pm, my 5k ticket got me staring at a fipping TV screen! I was furious!

So I decided to upgrade to a N15k ticket at the show. The N15k upgrade meant I was guaranteed a view of the runway, an even better selection of my 3 square meal and I get a gift pack.

Well not only did I stare a pillar all through, we were served remnants of small chops and the gift pack was based on who you knew (kinda like what you find at traditional parties). So if you were not for example Yar Adua's sister, nothing for you.

I was LIVID!

Not that I needed what was in the pack but heck! I paid for it!

Worst thing?! Although the show was stupid, it got fantastic reviews. Imagine that! Dunno why we Nigerians can NEVER tell the truth!

I promised myself I'd never pay beyond a certain amount for a fashion show in Lagos again! And especially not one by those organisers.... what were their names again... R70 or something...

webround said...

businessweek had a cover story of poor customer service in the past few weeks. one of the tactics used by customers (as listed in the magazine) can work wonders here in Naija.

Chakams said...

@Twayne,that was such a hilarious story(although it was anything but funny on the night,i'm sure)..lol

Anonymous said...

As others have said, we're way too passive in that country. If we need to succeed in that country, if we need things to change, if we want to rise above the infrastructures over there, we need to start doing things ourselves and not leave them to other people to deal with. All we do i moan to each other, we never act.

Take for instance, the just-concluded easter fiesta event that happened on Monday. It was shown in the UK live on AIT, i saw it, was enjoying the performances until i saw the security people pushing the spectators around and flogging them, right in front of the crowd. I mean, did they get permission from the organisers to maltreat the guests like that? What did organisers do about this afterwards? Even if some of these people are rogues or area boys, it's rather uncalled for to be treating them like that in the public viewing. I felt really ashamed that day to be a nigerian and sorry for those people.

T.Williams-A said...

Trust me Chakams, it was NOT! I'm still pained by the whole thing. and I went with a friend so in all, we burnt N40k.

Of course, I'd have assumed that to upgrade your ticket, you pay the difference between the 2 tickets, not buy a new ticket. But NO, it doesn't work that way in Naija. GREEDY ROGUES!

And guess what? They're having another one! Imagine that!

Chakams said...

@Twayne,What???..U paid the full cost of a fresh,VIP ticket instead of the difference btw VIP & regular?...dat's insult upon injury..lol..@Wienna,i can imagine how embarassed u felt watching d AIT footage of fans being flogged by the men in black...sad stuff indeed