Monday, October 15, 2007

My Top Ten

Today,I decided to do something different. I was watching an interview with a multinational company’s CEO on CNN the other day.During the chat,the reporter asked the gentleman who his most inspirational people were. Now,this simple (but deep) question got me thinking. Who’ll make my own list?Well,I’ve decided to share my top 10 names with you(in no particular order).As you’ll notice, they are individuals from different works of life, but they all constantly inspire me.
Nelson Mandela:
A man who was convicted for his anti-apartheid struggle and sent to prison for 27 yrs.After his release, he ruled his nation for one term (voluntarily) & forgave everyone who wronged him. Today, he’s adored & respected by many all over the planet. That says it all.

Oprah Winfrey:
The 53 yr old Mississippi-born multi-award winning host of the globally famous Oprah Winfrey Show.Oprah was born into a poverty-stricken family,raised by her grandmother & sexually abused by some of her family members.Today,she’s worth $2.5 billion making her the planet’s only black billionaire(in US dollars).

R.Kelly:
The Grammy-award winning Chicago native who,just 17 yrs ago,was screaming his lungs out with fellow group-mates after winning a $25,000 talent contest.Today,despite his recent controversial legal woes, the self-acclaimed ‘King of R&B’ is a respected multi-millionaire singer, songwriter, producer & multi-instrumentalist who’s been consistent in the music industry for the last 16 yrs.

JFK:
America’s 35th president (& one of its most popular) who was shockingly assassinated just 2 yrs into his presidency in Texas, by unknown gunmen. Up till this very day, conspiracy theorists still ponder over who was responsible for his untimely demise.Mr Kennedy was 46 when he passed.

Princess Diana:
It’s been over 10 yrs since that unfortunate Sunday, yet she still makes today’s headlines. Diana was kind, humble, beautiful & loved by millions across the globe. Easily the most popular princess the world has ever had.

Will Smith:
The rapper-turned-actor from Philadelphia who,despite his $20 million per movie paycheck,has managed to stay grounded, away from controversy & well-shielded from the media’s intense scrutiny.Currently,the Oscar-nominated & grammy award-winning artist is Hollywood’s most bankable actor with 7 consecutive smash hit movies & last starred in ‘’The Pursuit of Happyness’’,one of cinema’s most tear-inducing films.

Roger Federer:
The 26 yr old Swiss tennis player/philanthropist (with a South African mother) has been the world’s no. 1 for over 3 & a half yrs,has won 12 Grand Slam Singles titles & is poised to become the greatest player ever to grace a tennis court.

Michael Jackson:
The controversial King of Pop whose masterpiece ‘Thriller’ became the 1st album in history to spawn 7 US Top 10 hit singles, and is the world’s biggest selling album ever with over 104 million records sold to date. Need I say more?

Denzel Washington:
An incredible, humble African-American actor from NY with 5 Oscars nominations (& 2 wins) who, in my own view, can never make a bad film. When asked, by a reporter in a recent interview, why he wears a $60 dollar Timex watch despite his millions in wealth, he simply responded ‘’It tells the time, doesn’t it?’’.

George Akamiokhor:

A hardworking gentleman from Etsako East L.G.A in Edo State who, despite rising from absolute poverty to helm a major FG parastatal for 17 yrs,stayed principled & refused to loot despite obvious temptation. Today,his many years of service & dedication has evidently paid off in the nigerian capital market(even though he never got to see it for himself). I think somewhere in the Bible says ‘’A good name is worth more than silver & gold’’.How true, dad.

3 comments:

olaide said...

I am desperately looking for my top 10 Nigerians from different industries! I’ll post them as soon as possible but I have 2 people on my list for now: My mother and my Pastor
Anyways how are the 3 generations of Akamiokhor 's family ?

Anonymous said...

The people on your list inspire us in many ways.Particularly touched by the inclusion of Daddy(God bless his soul).

Mocha said...

Nice one..made me pause to think..I admire a number of people and was surprised that I had to actually think about those that INSPIRE me..
God for sure..my parents..Elizabeth Osunde of Diamond Bank..will pr'bly work out the rest and put it up on my blog.

Nice one Chakams about your dad..was touched by that too...

Nice one..