Wednesday, October 17, 2007

O Timi,Where Art Thou?

4 months & 3 weeks. That’s how long it’s been since that electric Saturday evening at Planet One, Ikeja.The occasion was the final show of the captivating, inaugural season of Idols West Africa. As a lover of music & talent, I had watched the show religiously over the several months it ran, right from the rib-cracking auditions at the start. So, with some connections, as well as a strong desire to personally witness which of the 2 Nigerian finalists would be crowned the first ever Idols West Africa champ, I was present at the immensely entertaining finale. I must admit, I had been a big supporter of Owamunmi’s.Like many others, I was impressed by the remarkable way she stepped up her game in the season’s closing weeks. It was obvious she wanted it badly. I also felt that she had the total package: physically attractive, great stage presence & a powerful personality.Timi, the show’s frontrunner, had an amazing, husky voice which constantly reminded me of nigerian-born singer, Lemar.
After lovely performances by both competitors that day, it was time to announce who came out tops.Timi Dakolo, the 26 yr old from Bayelsa was declared winner, the catalyst for deafening screams & mad celebration from his overwhelming no. of supporters. The people’s favorite had emerged tops with 63% of the votes, a victory that was accompanied by a lucrative recording deal with major label, BMG. In true Idols fashion, he had to perform his own show-closing song, the catchy & evidently appropriate ‘’I Love You’’.The crowd, myself included, went wild singing along to the appealing chorus, like Karaoke enthusiasts. As I drove home after such a memorable event, I was looking forward to hearing the potential hit played over & over again on the radio, with a video to match on several local & continental channels.
Well folks, I’m still waiting. I kid you not, I have not heard Timi’s song anywhere since the next day (i.e. Sunday, May 27th 2007) when the show was broadcast to millions across Africa via DSTV. In other countries where Idols has become almost culture-like, the record company granting the winner a contract quickly releases the artiste’s competition-ending song to various radio stations & record stores as a 1st single, with the album to follow months later. This strategy is wisely used to capitalize on the show's popularity & with the Idols winner still in the minds & hearts of the viewing audience, the speedy release is vital. Examples of this approach abound: Ruben Studdard, Fantasia & Kelly Clarkson in the US version & Will Young with chart-topper ‘Evergreen’ in the UK.Well, call me cynical, but fact is fact. Why must our own style be different? Over 140 days & not even airplay,talkless of a musical video on MTV Base or even ‘Nigezie’.True,The Idols Top 10 have been going on various road shows nationwide, aided by the show’s headline sponsor, but like the popular question goes ‘’na that one we go chop?’’
If I was the young man, I would demand to know, from either my publicist/manager (if any) or the record company execs, why ‘my progress is being stunted (unintentionally or not)’.After all, like he said in the opening line of the ‘I Love You’ track, 'I have a Dream…’
Ok,Mr Dakolo,grab it.

6 comments:

Jennifer A. said...

I'm still waiting. It's really not fair on the dude, why must our own be different? If they don't release an album soon enough, his name will be extinct!

Anonymous said...

Its african time they are using so its either his hit single comes out very late or never...and that is going to be quite pathetic

olaide said...

He must have dropped off some where after Celtel road show,----

Anonymous said...

OK I'm not current with the Naija music scene but I don't recall Recording Artists/Labels realeasing Singles like the foreign market.So maybe Timi's people are working on the entire album and haven't come up with enough songs(I'm guessing).Kudos for organisers handling the Show.But now its obvious they left something out(lol).

Admin UD said...

Timi was and still is THE BOMB...I believe he's currently working on his album.

Official Timi Fans Website

Anonymous said...

Saw him on Bisi Olatilo showa few weeks ago, performing at a former Delta state governor's daughter's wedding ceremony.