Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Devil Or The Deep Blue Sea

Guys, what I’m about to ask would be quite difficult to answer. Some would try, but would fail. Some would argue for and against. This question, to be honest, requires incredible analytical ability. In fact, an argument over the question can go on for weeks. No exaggeration.Weeks.So without any further ado, this is what I want to know:Who are more irritating:Commercial Bus Drivers or Okada Riders? Told you it would be tough. Reminds you of the dreadful subject known as Further Maths from your secondary school days,right?Well,to ease the task of knowing the correct answer,I’ll try and give a little synopsis of both of these Kolomental creatures. The Okada Rider: In Naija, anyone can assume this suicidal role. As long as you are old enough to pedal. Although they tend to come from a particular part of the country (I won’t mention where, in the spirit of political correctness) they seem destined to irritate the hell out of motorists. They love to take one-way, consistently ride recklessly, have no regard for traffic lights unless it’s a place with a lot of cops/Lastma officials & are partners-in-crime when it comes to aiding criminals who rob motorists in traffic. To describe them in a simple, one-word summary: STUPID.Or in two words: STUPIDLY STUPID. Make the mistake of hitting one of them(which is actually one of my personal fantasies) & you’ll be amazed by the speed it takes for over 50 other Okadas to hit the scene in solidarity with the mumu(whether it was their colleague’s fault or not)Sometimes, I think they are from another galaxy & we earthlings just don’t know it yet. Sincerely.
Now, to the second set of Aliens. Commercial Bus Drivers: Show me 3 commercial buses in Lagos with working trafficator lights and I promise you 5 of my fingers. Or 100k.Actually, I’ll give you both. That’s how confident I am about the absence of the aforementioned item on their vehicles. The way then abruptly swerve, to pick up or drop passengers, while in front of you would make you certain that you were a victim of Punked (Nigerian Edition).Like someone is trying to make you as pissed as terrorists are with President Bush. And why do they love one-way so much, even if the correct lane/route is free? The moment they see 5 seconds of traffic, they immediately veer out of lane to climb on the curvette or pedestrian path in continuation of their journey.Like everyone else on the road is not in a hurry,abi?Now,this is a serious question: Is there any evidence of a bus conductor ever falling off a bus while routinely hanging out of it?Miraculously,I haven’t heard of such a consequence.
Well, as for me, this is my own answer to the mind-buggling question: It’s a photo-finish. They are both so annoying, disobedient & dumb in seemingly equal measure that it’s almost impossible to separate the two. That, in itself, is scary.

8 comments:

kshorty1 said...

This question cannot be answered. They are just as irritating as each other but for different reasons. I personally let all bus drivers overtake me. They know I don't want to scratch my car but they can afford to dent their already beaten danfos as much as they want.

Okada are irritating for another reason. Their sheer nuisance value. They're worse than mosquitoes I tell you. I think they're second class road users. They are so irresponsible that an outright ban is the only way to remedy the situation.

Anonymous said...

Actually I once saw a bus conductor fall of his bus and then an okada ran over his leg...now that's what I call poetic justice...:)

Chakams said...

Lol..indeed

olaide said...

@ chinedu, that’s really funny !
I think most drivers in Lagos are really crazy... sometime in 2004 I was going to work and there was bad traffic on Kingsway rd, so we decided to take on of those short courts in roads and bust out close to falomo bridge , some crazy guy decided to take one way and hit our car badly Thank God we are still alive to tell the story. another day I was driving back from church and one guy decided to take on way on the service lane to get to the express and that was the only good spot i could take to go into my area . you wont believe this crazy guy didn’t reverse . He parked and told me to reverse back into the express. I was just ready for him that day I didn’t bulge after so much ado he took a bad spot and spat on my car imagine this guy was driving a nice Honder Accord 2001 with a chic by his side . How many Lagos drivers obey traffic lights if there is no Lastma guy lurking around, how many drivers have drivers license?
the stories are endless !

Funmi Iyanda said...

the okadas take the akara for me anyday. they are like little bats out of hell coming at you at every and any angle. god help you if you hit one of them, heck, god help you if they hit you.

Chakams said...

@funmi,they are like bats indeed...dangerous,move in packs & r erratic in their movement...

Anonymous said...

welll,i was born and lived 16years in lagos.but if you are looking for a safe heaven pls come join us in abuja.cheers.

Eunice said...

I used 2 think one was as bad as d oda....but came 2 d conclusion dt okadas r worse...a danfo driver wont hit u and use a silent antenna 2 call oda drivers 2 d spot withing seconds...literally.. no danfo driver can top dt...!