Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Naija Music: A Good Year

First of all, here’s wishing each and every one of you a happy new year. May 2008 bring you all abundant blessings. So the year 2007 has come and gone. For many of us, it was quite an eventful one. On a broader perspective, many industries achieved a lot in the year but none more so than the naija music industry. As most know, the local music scene has blown up significantly in recent years. In continuing with this impressive explosion of talent & quality of material, the year proved to be huge as quite a lot of new acts were exposed to the music-loving public. The household names also strengthened their reputations by releasing huge hits in 07.For me, there were four main acts (specifically, 5 individuals) who had a great year indeed.So, I’ll share them with you.
1. Olu Maintain: The ex-member of a popular Ibadan-based group was massive as a solo artiste with a comical anthem called ‘Yahoozee’.This infectious track was basically a satire of the lifestyles & mentality of the average, infamous 419 beneficiary. To underline this club banger’s popularity, I saw white folks rocking their lives out to the track at a British High Commission party I attended recently. A truly funny/special moment.
2. 2face: The young man from Benue did it again with another special album. How many albums do you get to hear these days that are sweet from Track 1 till the end a la Michael Jackson’s Thriller? Very few indeed.Mr Idibia showed with this CD(released in late 2006) that he’s truly a gifted artiste whose music always comes along with great production, catchy melodies & a sweet, believable voice.’ See Me So’ proved to be another hot track that seemed made for the clubs & parties.’Hey ya Hey Brother eee…’.What a song.
3. D'Banj:The Koko Master was at his very best last year especially with the enormous popularity of the anthemic tracks ‘Why Me’,’Loke’ & ‘Move Your Body’. Ably assisted by his close friend & producer Don Jazzy, this headline artiste of Mo Hits Records clearly proved why he’s loved by many across the country & beyond. I believe that one of his main objectives, i.e when he & Don Jazzy are recording, is to always create songs that get music lovers to spontaneous move their feet as soon as they hear the track’s beats. The MTV Award-winning star ended the year with the release of another huge record called ‘Booty Call’, significantly boosted by the sweet vocals of Wande Coal, another member of the Mo Hits crew. I saw him at a joint on the island a few weeks ago. As I was leaving that night, I noticed his black Benz with the customized ‘KOKOLET’ plate number. No long thing.
4. P-Square: Unless deaf, there’s no young person in this lagos who can say they haven’t heard the extremely popular ‘Do Me’ by the dark-skinned twins.Honestly,I didn’t really like the song when I first heard it.However,with the track seemingly being played at every single place I went to this Christmas, I have to admit that it has eventually grown on me. No matter the occasion, as soon as that unique beat drops, everyone instantaneously springs to their feet. Although the lyrics are nowhere near the songwriting quality level of say Ne-Yo’s, there’s just something that makes it a great song to dance & mime to. Accompanied by a really cool video, this definite club banger was obviously the most popular song during the xmas holidays. Out of curiosity, I recently bought a copy of their latest CD ’Game Over’ while in traffic. After a first listen, I was so impressed by the quality of practically all the songs on it. For me, ‘No One Like U’ is my clear favorite though. To Peter & Paul, I must confess this about your music:’E get as e dey do me’.Lol.
I eagerly wait to see what the year 2008 holds for the millions of naija music fans out there. Mouth-watering prospect indeed.

5 comments:

Remi Fagbohun said...

Good Recap of the world of Nigerian music for 2007! I dont believe I have ever been on your blog...but I will definitely be back!
Happy New Year!

Chakams said...

Thanks,Bluntremi...Happy new year too

Anonymous said...

Agreed... But how in Gods name can you leave out Faze? Abi he is not a Naija artiste? Kolomental is easily the most mental song of the year...

These boys are truly amazing and they are putting Naija back on the map. Since the passing of Fela, I gave up on original naija music with the likes of Alex O and his brothers messing up the scene.

I must say I no really send P Square (maybe I haven't listened to them enuough). One reason being that they are trying to sing like some rnb act which again imho is not original. As for Olu Maintain, Dbanj and Faze, my hat goes out to them. Awesome tracks... Last weekend me and some guys went to Steambar and when they played Kolomental and Yahoozee, all man (African,oyibo and asian) boogied down... The beats are mad and have an African feel to them which I like. I love these songs and have been looking to buy the cds if I can find them. Too messy...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Chico... how could you leave FAZE out of your list... his reply to 2face is a classic... I dey do 45 mins for tread mill (no visible effect so far) with that song on replay...

Chico you can buy albums from duduradio.com... I remember back in the days when they just started, you could select songs and they'll create a mix CD and mail it to you... now that they seem to be legit I’m not sure if they'll create mix CDs.

Chakams said...

Guys,i agree that Kolomental was a massive track here last yr,but so were several others like Konga,Tunaya,Se wuni etc...but as u'll notice,i decided to limit it to d 4 biggest stars of d year who had several hits throughout 07..apart from Olu Maintain who had arguably d hottest jam of 2007(which xplains y he made d list)...however,i'm so proud of d incredible songs that came out of naija artistes last yr...sweet,african-rooted sounds with catchy choruses..all laced with originality...Proudly nigerian indeed