Thursday, September 13, 2007

At Your Service

The world today,is a global village.Without a doubt,that's largely a good thing.Through technology,the internet,satellite tv etc we are constantly kept abreast of what transpires in other developed,advanced countries.Be it daily news,global culture,best practice or general goings-on, someone in abuja is today as well-informed as another in San Francisco.
As such,best practice & behaviorial patterns in 'modern' nations are usually mirrored by those in developing countries.
One such replication can be found in our service industry(particularly in the restaurant/bar business).This is understandable since the 'reputable' customer care experienced in western societies is something all sane service-oriented businesses constantly aspire for.This brings me to my observation a couple of weeks ago.

I was at one of my favourite Island joints,having drinks with some friends on a friday evening.
A girl with an obvious american accent was sitting with a gentleman at a table just beside ours.Apparently,they had ordered for a bottle of red wine.The waiter,on his return with the requested order,had opened the wine and poured a little into the lady's glass.To my surprise,he stood upright,evidently waiting for the lady to take a sip first,before pouring further.The reason i was astonished was because this only happens in western countries.The explanation behind this in foreign restaurants is simple:The restaurant/bar owners are so confident in their wines' quality that the waiters pour a little into the customer's glass so they(customer) can assess the wine first.If the guest isn't pleased,the wine is immediately returned 'unbilled'(notwithstanding it's opened state) & replaced with another,if the customer so desires.

My pleasant surprise was short-lived though, as a result of what occurred next.The lady,probably to test the seriousness of the joint's seemingly impressive gesture,took a sip & spontaneously told the waiter that she didn't like the wine & so couldn't accept the bottle.

My words can't accurately describe the perplexed,helpless look on the waiter's face.He was,in one word,confused.''But madam,i've already opened the bottle'' was finally blurted out through the guy's shaking lips.

At this point,i was tempted to rudely get involved in this comedic drama.However,the lady spared me the effrontery.''But why did you give me to taste first,if my view of the wine was of no consequence?''she responded.
I would have paid money to hear the gentlemen's reply,but as was realistically expected,he was speechless.It took the lady's male friend's plea to get her to accept the bottle,to the waiter's enormous relief.
A few times after that(even at the same joint)when i've been in the mood for wine,waiters who served me still did the exact same thing i.e. waiting for my approval of the wine first,before they pour further.

I just tell them ''please fill the glass,my friend.What's the point when i can't reject the bottle,even if it tasted like cough syrup?''
Fellow countrymen,if we must imitate,let's go the whole 9 yards.Not 50%.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha! I love it!!! Wish i could have been there to watch too! Well, chaks i think you must have made that up!!! Too funny!! Also have to ax, ( you know cyberspace makes one freer with expressing thoughts and opinion) Are you maintaining your blog on company time? Love having you around and would not like to see you "disciplinaried"

Anonymous said...

lol... Kams omo take heed, your bosses are reading lol.

Men you only hear stories like this in Naija. Hilarious as it is it goes to show you that we are all a bunch of posers in the end. Ver little substance, just eye service.

ez

Chakams said...

Lol..apparently

Anonymous said...

Yeah..what's the point.Bro,love your blog.

Anonymous said...

chakams mennnnn!!! laughter wan kill me!!!
i lurrvvvee ur blog!

Mocha said...

So to repost [cos my comment got lost!!]
I was like; how hilarious was that dude!!! LMAO!!
I tend to just ask what the house wine is joo, if its something I'm familiar with or think I'll like then I'll have a glass or 3..lol..

Anonymous said...

A beg no kill me with laughter, your blog is cool.

Free Spirit in Naija said...

If i was the one, i'd have insisted on speaking to the Manager or the Owner of the restaurant! Why should the Waiter who is obviously not so enlightened be made to feel stupid for something he is asked by Management to do and must comply with?
I'd like to hear the Owner explain to me and eventually change my bottle!