Monday, September 17, 2007

A Dozen Indomie Packs For Dinner

Now this was an unusual evening.Simply because ordinarily,i would have sent my gateman to get it.Get what,you might ponder?Indomie Noodles,Nigeria's favorite & arguably cheapest meal.Enjoyed by both rich & poor.Easy & quick to prepare as well.
On that thursday night,i was in the mood for this national bestseller.Like i said,i would have sent Bashiru,the pleasant car-washing custodian of my compound's gate.
Instead,i decided to stroll.This was because,sadly,i hadn't done any exercise in a long while.Even my dust-coated cycler could attest to this fact.
So i said to myself: Use this opportunity to walk & stress your legs,albeit for a 60 metre distance.
I ended up in a provisions-stocked corner shop two streets away.Now,the reason i went this far was because i was trying to seem like a 'serious stroller'.This was less embarassing than exercising only to the mallam's kiosk about 10 steps from my house.So i decided to patronise a store farther away from home.

When i got to the indomie store,i noticed this little girl sitting all alone.She couldn't have been older than 5 yrs old.Seriously.From her look & stature,anyway.I looked around,my eyes searching for this kid's mum whom i was sure was somewhere around.No one else in sight.

''Uncle,what are you buying?'' abruptly halted the strain on my roving retinas.
My surprise,was replaced with an involuntary smile.This cute kid was kept in charge of this gigantic(well,in her eyes)store with hundreds of items.The pressure she felt must have been like that on a newly appointed CEO in a failing company nearing extinction.Wow.However,she looked very confident.

I suspended my thoughts to answer.'Chicken flavour?',this self-assured mini CEO continued.

Her questions showed no sign of easing up as she asked the following ''How many,uncle?'',''What of eggs?''

I was almost in laughter,watching this confident store manager.I then thought to myself.If this was,say the States, her mum would have been behind bars on charges of child labour,neglect etc & I for suspected paedophilia.

But in our dear nation,it's perfectly normal to the vast majority of citizens.It's probably regarded as ''infant empowerment''in many homes.We don't even give a 2nd glance to(or stare in surprise at)kids on our streets selling oranges,washing windscreens etc.I know the general view is that it's due to poverty,but it has simply become culture for most.

Well,back to the baby entrepreneur.I was so impressed with this kid's marketing & managerial skills that i decided to buy a dozen packs,instead of 2 as i originally planned.
Chicken flavour,of course.

8 comments:

Mocha said...

Hahaha!! @ 'Infant Empowerment'..too funny..
But mehn! some o' these kids would shame some of the shrewdest business moguls out there! for real!..lol..
And that is so funny about legging it to 2 streets away to make like you're a 'serious stroller'..lmao..too funny..
And I prefer Onion Chicken myself..lol..
Great post.

Abimars said...

First time here and will definaately be coming back, nice blog!

Chakams said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Lol..Charlie!! 5yrs old??? don't be deceived by size, most of these underpriviledged kids are malnourised, so tend to be alot smaller than their peers, so you can't be too sure..Well, this life would def. mould and shape her for the future.. Most of our big shots today were also less fortunate but that life prepared them for the future...

Nice post and Great blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Charlie i never you could write oh! na wah i think say nah only pee u sabi do.

Anonymous said...

nice blog...you never know though...this must be young girl's mother's strategy to get customers to buy more...you fell for it didn't you?

Anonymous said...

wen did u start writing?
nice one.......there are alot of those kids are around,the nice ones make u buy more stuff...have u ever encountered the kids dat beg at sabo round about? those ones are pretty annoying.

Anonymous said...

That's really sweet of you buying 12packs.....I bet u made both the the child and mum's day.....


'Labake...