Friday, September 7, 2007

Madness at Murtala Muhammed


I had heard it last week from a colleague who had seen off her sister going to the UK.She said the queues passengers went through at the international airport was horrific.My thought at the time was that this was a one-off,which was probably caused by a unique problem or lapse that particular day.


Well,after taking my mum to the airport last weekend,i now know this seems to be a standard,everyday situation.I could barely believe my eyes.After my mother had checked in,we proceeded to the entry point for travellers.There were 2 queues,each spreading in opposite directions like a bull's horns.It was unbelievably long.After staying on what seemed like the better queue for a few minutes,my mum had to go & meet the female immigration officer manning the fast track area(used only by airline crew & first class passengers).

My mum cleverly pleaded with the lady,telling her that she was not feeling well.This ploy worked,especially as my mum looked like the grandmum of 3 she is.

It wasn't smooth sailing from hereon though as the so-called 'fast track' section had a queue of its own,although this was much more tolerable.

Murtala Muhammed International airport was commissioned by OBJ in 1977(during his 1st stint as Nigeria's leader).At the time,there were only a handful of international airlines plying the lagos route.Now,we have close to 30 in operation.Also,the signicant economic & population growth of the nation's capital in the last 30 yrs can't be easily quantified.Based on these,it's strange that the FG has not seen the need to expand the Lagos airport in light of clearly evident changes & demand.
Nigerians are travelling in much larger numbers now,than in 1977 when the airport was opened.

So it was with glee (& a bit of cynicism) that i read the news some days ago,quoting the new aviation minister.Mrs Allison-Madueke made a commitment,while visiting the airport,stating that govt was going to urgently undertake a major expansion at Murtala Muhammed.

As usual,we are reacting to a problem instead of been proactive & forward-thinking.

Well,better late than never,right?

4 comments:

Jigga said...

Kams you hit the nail on the head. This reactive thinking on the part of Government and their non-chalant regards for the welfare of thier citizens.

Previous Governments have failed Nigerians and instead have engendered a politics of corruption which permeates everyday life leaving Nigerians all over in abject misery.

However in Yaraduas Government we are seeing certain changes. A government that sees that the situation shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Chakams said...

True,but since these are still early days in Yar'Adua's govt,we should express cautious optimism at this point in time.

Mocha said...

I admire your ability to express any kind of faith in any person other than God.
I personally will only believe anything when I SEE IT from this govt.

To me it seems like every new government regime comes in with a smokescreen in place, a promise of something "better", something a few notches above the despair that prevailed before they entered power..undoubtedly caused by the SAME PEOPLE in the first place.

I feel like Nigeria always takes one countless steps backwards to take one step forward in what is usually branded "progression". Then as usual, complacency sets in, ideals fall by the way in the light of corrupting promises of wealth, sickening affluence and status.."progression" stalls and consistency and fruition resumes their place as just words in the dictionary and not the viable concepts that they had promised to be.

We are a nation teeming with superior pedigree, quality individuals with SO MUCH potential and we get treated as and TAKE second rate citizenship.
I'm incensed.

The expansion efforts, if I may call them that, of the airport in my opinion is very patronising.
If we are taking these much needed steps soooooo long after the fact then when can we expect other much needed amenities??
Light?
Water??
Good roads???
Food????
Education?????

Anyone?

In relation to all these things, we are sorely lacking perspective in my opinion..we seem to be working from the outside in and not the other way around.

Anyway, like I said; I'll believe it when I see it.

Anonymous said...

...by the way,can anyone shed light on the status of Abuja Airport.Years ago (while I was around) it did not measure up as the capital city's international port.Somebody tell me.I beg!