Thursday, September 6, 2007

Diana:My Princess


I remember that Sunday morning like it was yesterday. August 31st 1997.I had woken up at 7.10am a bit surprised. My dad had, for many months, woken me up at 7am prompt to get ready for the 8am mass. This was necessary because I always went to bed very late on Saturdays.However, on this occasion, I woke up without hearing my dad’s usual ‘Charlie, wake up. Get ready for Church’ substituting as an alarm clock. As I dragged my feet to the bathroom, I passed the living room only to see my father through the slightly ajar door. He was sitting glued to the TV, watching CNN.That was quite strange as, on Sunday mornings, he didn’t have time to watch the news prior to church service. I opened the door to greet him, only to see the ‘Breaking News’ message scrolling across the TV screen. DIANA, Princess of Wales, had died.
I froze. Diana, DEAD? How?When?Why? Did God approve it? I joined my dad in his glued state, to get more information. She had been involved in a crash within a Paris tunnel while been chased by Paparazzi.She was declared dead minutes later at the Paris hospital she had been frantically rushed to.

When my dad & I got to Church, I was still confused, sad & absent-minded. The parish priest began his usual sermon/preaching after reading the 2nd Gospel. His first words were ‘Today the world mourns’. He had heard, like many others across the world. It was a day of global mourning. That day was simply ‘Black Sunday’.

I normally say Princess Diana was a cross between Cindy Crawford & Mother Theresa. She had the looks of a Supermodel, and the heart of a Saint. Never has royalty been so elegant, yet so humble. So classy, yet so kind & compassionate.

I can’t believe it’s been 10 yrs since that last day of August when my dad didn’t wake me up for church.

Diana, my princess…..The people’s princess.

3 comments:

Mocha said...

I'm first!!yaaaaaay!!
lol..welcome "newbie"..nice post..I could really relate.

She was an amazing woman wasnt she..who left an amazing legacy..
How many human beings have touched THE WORLD by just being who they are and not a character in the movie?
Not many..few & far between..

Anonymous said...

i was watching her tribute on TV the other day...it seemed so surreal...like she was floating on this earth like an angel of some sort. i kept wishing i could look into her heart and see her innermost and deepest thoughts and desires...seems like just the other day...not 10years...I guess that’s how a true princess should make you feel...

Lily

Anonymous said...

We are putting together a unisex magazine to launch in Nigeria last quarter 2008, we like your blog and would like you to write for us.

Please get in touch with us at the following address contact_us@xy-magazine.com.